Friday, June 06, 2008

WHAT Did She Just Say???

This post is not directly related to teaching or Montessori. It would fall under the category "Shocking Things Kids Say."

Picture this: we're getting ready to go to a party, and having been neglectful of laundry this week due to the ratio of actual time to things to fit into time allotted was way out of balance, neither Derek nor I have any of our "favourite" tops to wear. You know the ones? They're newer, they make you feel good, they make you look good (or better - at least!), and they're always in the hamper because you wear them the moment they out of the dryer?

Ella, evidently, overhears us disparaging our clean clothes (old, dreary, sad clothes that just don't look "good" anymore, and ourselves (old, dreary, sad mid-thirties parents that just don't look "good" anymore).

Then Ella said, "I'm pathetic."

We pause, staring at one another. My husband speaks up, "Did you just hear what she said?"

"Yeh," I answer, "She said, I'm prophetic."

"No!" he said, "She said 'I'm pathetic'."

We both turn to her and ask, simultaneously, "Did you say 'I'm pr/pa - th/ph - etic'?"

"Yes," she tells us, which really doesn't clear anything up.

This time only my husband speaks. "Ella, are you pathetic?"

She wrinkles her nose, "NO! I'm prophetic, but I'm not going to be prophetic no more! I'm going to stop right now!"

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:45 p.m. , Blogger RebelAngel said...

So, if from now on she cannot tell the future, does that mean that for one shining moment she could, if only long enough to tell you that she no longer would?

 
At 9:33 p.m. , Blogger HomeSchooler said...

I guess so!

We really have to watch what we say. About a month ago she told my Mum, "Nanie, you are ostentatious!"

 
At 9:20 a.m. , Blogger RebelAngel said...

Seems to me it was Ella who was being ostentatious. LOL

and precocious.

Definitely mind what you say.

 
At 6:25 p.m. , Blogger HomeSchooler said...

It's my fault she picked up this vocabulary word! Whenever she acts "uppity" or disparages someone else, I've often told her, "Ella, don't be ostentatious!"

When Mum asked her if she knew what "ostentatious" meant, Ella nodded sagely and told her, "It means bad."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home