Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Introducing...

Henry Harold, born on February 2nd, 2009. 45cm long, 4 lbs. 2 oz.


AND

Eli Derek, born February 2nd, 2009. 40 cm long, 3 lbs. 11 oz.


Both boys are doing remarkably well considering their very early arrival. Neither needed to be put on oxygen and both are very active. Eli has gotten himself the nickname "Wild Man" by the nurses as he is so successful at removing all his IVs, monitors, and tubes. Henry is pretty good at getting them out too, but he is more interested in moving around his isolette and getting into interesting and awkward positions. Both are still being fed predominantly by gavage (a tube to the stomach) though Henry has figured out how to latch and has begun to breastfeed for up to half his feedings when I'm there.

The early arrival occurred when, on the morning of February 2nd, as we were preparing to head to the hospital for an ultrasound, Henry broke his water. Talk about a shock! As it turns out, I would have been giving birth ASAP anyways as I had been quickly developping pre-eclampsia complicated by HELLP Syndrome. I spent the day, following the boys' birth, drifting in and out of consciousness, pretty much unaware of what was going on. I was in the ICU for two days until they were able to stabilize me. Because my kidneys and liver had stopped functioning I swelled up like the Michelin man. For some reason that defies explanation, both of the boys and I also had high levels of pottasium. Evidently that can be bad!

Eventually with medication expirimentation it came down in all of us. All my organs are on their way back to normal again. I stayed in hospital for two weeks and now we're doing a lot of running back and forth to visit the boys who will be in the NICU until they have gained sufficient weight and are also able to take all their feedings by bottle or breast.

15 Comments:

At 9:56 a.m. , Blogger Familyoffoxes said...

Congratulations! I am glad you are all healthy and well. They are beautiful!

 
At 10:41 a.m. , Blogger cuddles said...

The boys are beautiful. Looking at the pictures choked me up. So precious. Congratulations on your new arrivals! I hope they are able to join you at home soon. I'm sure it must be hard running back and forth to the hospital so much.

 
At 3:35 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi & Congratulations!!

What gorgeous little men you make! I haven't stopped by your blog for ages but someone reminded me about the amazing homemade Montessori materials you made and posted about & it is a lovely surprise to see this post!

I look forward to checking back soon & seeing how those sweet bubbas grow up :)

 
At 7:57 p.m. , Blogger Bethany said...

They are both beautiful! Congratulations :)

 
At 11:55 a.m. , Blogger Tess said...

Congratulations Congratulations! They look like beautiful boys! I'm so thrilled you are all alright :)

What does Ella think of them?

T x

 
At 2:00 p.m. , Blogger Cerulean said...

Congratulations!! The boys are adorable. I am glad everyone is improving and doing well. I bet Ella is excited!! I hope everything continues to go well, and the boys get to come home soon.

 
At 9:08 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck with both your beautiful premmie boys. I found your blod due to your post with pre eclampsia and HELLPS. I had PE and HELLPS in 2006 and my daughter Airlie Fae was born at 27weeks gestation weighing 861grams = 1lb 14ozs
Look after yourself and if you ever want to chat to other Mums I have a forum set up for premmie babies and there are a few mums on there that had Pre eclampsia and HELLP Syndrome too. Airlie is now 3 and a healthy little girl going to preschool 2 days a week.
I now spend alot of time running my business Moment by Moment a support and product site set up just for premature babies plus a run a support group for parents to meet face to face too.
take care
Fiona from Moment by Moment Australia http://premmiebabyforum.momentbymoment.com.au

 
At 1:07 p.m. , Blogger Four Little Penguins said...

I am praying for you and your adorable babies!

 
At 10:43 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations! They are very cute...

 
At 12:41 p.m. , Blogger Mozi Esme said...

They are adorable! I am so glad you all are doing okay - how scary that must have been...

 
At 2:32 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your babies. What a beautiful double blessing.

I know that life with a baby in the NICU can be very difficult, but hang in there. It gets a whole lot better.

 
At 8:33 a.m. , Blogger RebelAngel said...

Hurray! I am so glad you are feeling better.

Aren't they precious!

 
At 2:23 p.m. , Blogger ALPI HARIKALAR DIYARINDA said...

congratulations!They are beautifull!!!

 
At 7:01 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!
I too had pre-eclampsia with HELLP Syndrome. My daughter was born 8 1/2 wks early at 2 lbs, 10 oz and was in the NICU for 6 wks. Six and 1/2 years later she is perfectly normal, wonderful little girl with no signs of her dramatic entry into this world! Take care of yourself and know that a lot of people have rode that same roller coaster of emotions you are experiencing...and years later when you think back at all of this, you'll still cry...but tears of joy and you'll probably run to those little boys and kiss them all over (even if they say YUCK!) Hang in there and take it moment by moment (and get some rest!!!)

 
At 4:22 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog when looking for info on how to make my own bead materials. You have covered it all!

Thanks so much.

I also noticed today is your boys' birthday. Happy Birthday to you and congratulations!

- A Mom in CA

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home