Thursday, March 26, 2009

"The Absorbent Mind" Challenge

Eli (in blue) and Henry (in green)

It's almost 2 am here, and I'm up nursing Eli and am again thinking about something I've been wanting to do ever since the boys were born. I remember reading Maria Montessori's The Absorbent Mind and thinking that it really applied well to infancy. Many of the things I learned in that book I had already, instinctively, done with Ella. But it's time to brush up!

Books are always more enjoyable when you have someone to discuss them with, and so I'm throwing out a challenge (an easy one): who would like to read The Absorbant Mind with me? We'll be doing it at a leisurely pace, perhaps over 2-3 months, giving ourselves lots of time to absorb and discuss it.

There are a few different ways we can do this and I haven't decided which way we'd go yet. It would be nice to have the imput of others who want to be involved first. So grab your copy, or buy or borrow, and sign up! The more opinions the more interesting our reading will be. I have yet to get my own copy of the book, so you have time to get one too. Perhaps we can begin mid-April?

If you are interested, please respond to this post. In a few days (around April 1st) I will post again to co-ordinate those who wish to be involved. If you don't want to join in the reading and discussions but you do want to see our discussions, please let me know that too, just so I know whether our posts/messages should be public or not. Understand, though, that the final decision of whether our discussion is public or private will be up to the entire group, not just me.

Hope to hear from you soon!


My Boys

Photos by me. Beautiful afgan background by Zirbert's wife, she of the magic sticks and string!

13 Comments:

At 3:08 a.m. , Blogger thesecretofchildhood said...

Yes, I'd love to collaborate please. Count me in - in any form.

 
At 10:16 a.m. , Blogger Smith said...

I just want to kiss those cheeks!

Please count me in for the reading. I just checked that book out of the library yesterday, so perfect timing.

 
At 1:25 p.m. , Blogger busyhappymom said...

Count me in too! I'm currently reading too.

 
At 10:37 a.m. , Blogger LeeandLoren said...

I would love to join you! So glad to see the boys are doing well!

 
At 7:40 p.m. , Blogger Gigi said...

I would love to participate. I have picked up this book about 4 times and cannot get through the first chapter.
Maybe this will help!

I love the pictures of the boys!! They are soooo cute all snuggled up against each other. This probably helps them sleep well.

 
At 1:16 p.m. , Blogger HomeSchooler said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Gigi, that is hilarious. The boys do NOT like sleeping together in close quarters. The first time a nurse put them together in an isolette they had a fight and had to be separated! As long as there's some kind of buffer between the two of them, like a rolled-up blanket, they're fine. They both love to snuggle... just not with each other!

 
At 4:27 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

Oooo, I'm up for the challenge. I haven't read it yet. I wonder if there are any free e-books online. A lot of her work is available. I'll have a look :)

 
At 2:51 p.m. , Blogger magda said...

I just found your blog today, and have "The Absorbent Mind" in my library stack. I'm trying to work through "The Montessori Method" and catch up to my six-month-old son.

 
At 7:34 a.m. , Blogger semiramis said...

heeey, i would like to follow your discussions about book! i want also to read it with you but i am not sure if i could find the book. here is turkey and i can only get the book by ordering it out of the country. anyway, i really want to read your discussions.
semiramis

 
At 8:16 a.m. , Anonymous Donna Marie said...

Your boys are so incredibly beautiful! I had a little boy in October (my 8th) so the new baby smell is still with him. I started out my mommyhood with identical twin girls! The time does go very fast. I miss those days... sleepless though they were. It took me a long time to realize that I could actually sleep and nurse with both of them in bed..before that I was living in a recliner! Enjoy these precious days! FWIW...my twins liked to be close too but not too close...one of them was a wiggler...still is at 15! LOL

 
At 6:45 a.m. , Anonymous Dewi said...

Hi there,
congratulations on the boys' arrival. Glad everyone is okay.

I've been following your blog (and anxiously waiting for new posts) for a while now. My own daughter has just turned 2 and my order of Elizabeth Hainstock's book has finally arrived (yay!). Now I think i need some background reading to support the practicality of that book.

So, yes, I would like to be able to see/participate in the discussion. I've only got my Bahasa Indonesia version of the Absorbent Mind (the only one I could find in Jakarta!) but shouldn't be a problem.

Count me in!

Cheers,
-dewi-

 
At 3:00 a.m. , Blogger Jess said...

I'm in! Am I too late?
(:

 
At 2:53 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog! However, I'm having a terribly time trying to navigate it. There seems to be no "older posts" button at the bottom of the page to go back to the older blog posts?? I've looked all over and can't find it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home