Tuesday, September 08, 2009

My NEW Montessori Classroom

it's finally here:
Montessori at Home
THE BACK-TO-SCHOOL EDITION


Ella on her first day of "official" homeschooling: Grade Kindergarten

Since February my life has been absolutely, positively crazy, but if I hear someone, anyone, tell me yet again, "You must be so busy!" or the other constantly-heard phrase, "You've got your hands full!" I think I'll sweetly inform whomever it is that in point of fact I spend most of my time most of my days sitting or laying around and reading. It wouldn't be far from the truth. I'm the nursing mother of two growing boys who refuse to take a bottle. Although I often try to do something else while nursing I've discovered that either my activities distract them from nursing or whatever I'm doing is so shoddy I have to redo it later.


And yet, in the midst of this I've been spending much of my non-nursing time getting ready for school. I've done a lot of paperwork, organising month-by-month and then week-by-week what I want to cover. I've also had to move our classroom from the church across the street into our home. This was not a small matter as our home is rather small, our family has just become much larger, and the "spare" room had to become a nursery. But with a wonder of a friend (Thanks, Sherri! You were a whirlwind of activity. I don't know where you get the energy!) and the sacrifice of a dining room (as our kitchen is galley-style the dining room table is our only table) we have created a new classroom.


The shelves (as seen above) lack something in aesthetic value, but are extremely practical. The main portion of shelves was my own bookshelf from my childhood. All the added bits and pieces are from a decrepit, dismantled desk transformed by Sherri. So, with no cost to me, I ended up with extensive shelving!


A glance ahead, three of the shelves up close:



Math Materials

Language Arts Materials


Sensorial Materials

Some of the materials and their uses I have written about in previous blogs. Items which are new I will be covering in the near future. Plus, I will very soon have completed part two of the Montessori Mathematic Bead Material. It has been some time in the making... In more ways than one! For some reason I got a bit off track around February. Can't figure out why...

Also in the works: Montessori and Montessori-type activities for infants. This post could also be termed "Keeping two boys occupied while trying to educate their sister." It's just going to get more exciting from here on in!

Are my hands full? Am I busy? Maybe just a wee bit, but my quiver is full of blessings, so I don't mind!

7 Comments:

At 6:52 a.m. , Anonymous aly in va said...

everything looks lovely. My daughter is also in K, but at a private montessori school. Hopeing to oneday homeschool.

 
At 5:30 p.m. , Blogger Rebecca said...

LOL I had to comment; I am pregnant with our 4th and we have a 4yo, 3yo, and 18 mo, and the "You're so busy!" is the ONLY comment I get, over and over.

Your classroom looks lovely!

 
At 10:16 a.m. , Blogger RebelAngel said...

You're doing fine. Keep in mind that most of the home schoolers I know of have had to sacrifice part of their home to the school. You seem well organized, so that is a plus. When one is a slob and trying to do all this, things fall apart.

Take care of yourself, take care of the kids, and Derek. Everything else falls into place.

 
At 1:03 p.m. , Blogger My Boys' Teacher said...

Hi!

I was talking you up again today. You can read about yourself here:
http://whatdidwedoallday.blogspot.com/2009/09/bead-materials-and-montessori-at-home.html

 
At 7:39 p.m. , Blogger Heidi said...

Your classroom looks fantastic. Creative use of space is a-ok in my book!

If you want to see some examples of what we have done with our (now 1yo) through her infant years, including some how-to's of my own, you can visit my blog and search for infants and toddlers.

Good Luck,

Heidi
http://www.notahomeschooler.blogspot.com

 
At 5:56 a.m. , Blogger Karen said...

Your are doing great!! like always... You are a Star!!! you know what, when I start in to montessori method I found your blog, and you has been my inspiration!!! and my role model!! I love your work with Ella,she's so big now!! and know with your boys you''re doing AWESOME!! I'm SOOOOOO HAPPY YOUR BLOGING AGAIN!!!! Thank you so much for share you work and experiencies with us!!

Sincerely,
Karen
www.miescuelitamontessori.blogspot.com

 
At 3:26 p.m. , Blogger bella said...

wow i love your blog . i have a little girl 3.5 years old Tina and a 14 months old son , and a 16 years old specialneed daughter .
first i want to congratulate you on your new blessings , they are adorable . how do you really do it ?? tina is suddenly not interested much in her own work and enjoys running wild with her brother . a shelf of work for the baby !! forget it , he is not interested easer and all he wants is follow his sister . it is such joy watching them play but i feel it is all we are doing playing , and well we can sneak in books here and there , but no proper montessori work .
we mainly worked on practical life activities so far , i still didn't purchase any material but i want to . since i live so far in africa i am considering buying balk and get it shipped by sea , so i need to think ahead what will i need for the coming year or two .
my daughter loves maps , she already knows her letter sounds and can blend three and four letters words , and shouts excited I am reading . she isn't into writting but loves to draw her letters on her easel , and some of her numbers. she knows quanities up to ten . we are outdoors a lot lots of mud and sand play , she has very developped sence of smell , and taste , so i wonder do i really need planed activites for those or just included in every day life cooking ,...
i love all those sensoriel material but wonder how much do we really need them , any advice ??
i have an appointment tomorrow with a carpenter to discuss with him cut from wood some of the material , somebody did the tower and brown stairs but they are not very accurate , so i will try to remake them .
you never mentioned metal inset and geo cabinet , do youhave them ?? botany and zoology puzzles ??
how old is ella now . what would you advice me ??
looking forward to read your reply
love and blessings
viv

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home