Monday, November 17, 2008

A Little More Math...

1+1=3 ????

Doesn't seem to add up, does it? But that's what is happening in my house!

No, this post is not about Montessori math, just to give you the heads up now. If you want information about Montessori mathematics, pick one of the following:

There, that's out of the way. Now to explain my brilliant mathematical equation:

1 pregnancy + 1 pregnancy =
3 children!!!
At least, that's what they tell me! Evidently I'm having twins - two boys to be more specific. This explains a few things, like why I threw up so much during my first trimester when last time I never threw up - I only felt nauseated. Also, I started having nasty ligament pain ridiculously early in the pregnancy. And once I began to feel movement, I noticed that the "baby" seemed to be kicking either very low or very high, not often in the middle. I just figured that he really got around. But as for my size, it never gave the secret away!

You see, when I was pregnant for Ella, I popped BIG and I popped EARLY. At three months I barely looked pregnant, but by four months people were stopping me and making comments such as, "You must be due any day now!" When they found out I had five months to go, they would say, "Oh! You must be having twins!" Not the sort of thing that improves self-esteem.

Once I got that big, however, I pretty much maintained my girth until around 8 months, after which I put on a bit more weight until giving birth, and then promptly lost it all within 3 weeks. I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but the pre-pregnancy shape was a bit more elusive!

So, on the rare occasion that people commented, "Oh, you're big for only __ weeks!" I'd laugh and explain that I was positively tiny compared to my last pregnancy. In fact, I was rather pleased at the difference.

Well, that difference won't last much longer! Both boys have their own placentas and amniotic sacs, which is very good. And they're both at the weight and height that any normal 20 week-old would be at, so I've got two full-size fellows on the way. (This is not unusual for multiples - they tend to have normal measurements right up until nearing the end of the pregnancy when they often arrive a bit earlier, and lighter, than many other babies). No wonder my ligament pain began early - they're holding up twice the weight they normally should be!

The really marvelous part is that this pregnancy has been absolutely fantastic compared to pregnancy with Ella. Ligament pain and vomiting notwithstanding, I've felt great physically, and, even more important, I've felt great emotionally.

Though postpartum depression has been getting a lot of press lately, finally helping to normalize the illness, antenatal depression is still virtually unheard of. Essentially I was suicidal for my first trimester with Ella. Thank heavens when the second trimester came along I got all better - almost as if someone had flipped a switch. I was very lucky not to end up with postpartum depression as well.

My case had been so severe for that one trimester, though, we had a few doctors strongly advise us not to have any more children. But, at least as far as this pregnancy goes, our worries were all for naught. Of course, I'm being closely monitored by my Mum and Derek to make sure my hormones don't start to take me in that direction, and they will continue to watch me closely through the postpartum months.

So, if posts become more sporadic over the next few months, you'll know why: I'm madly working both on Montessori materials (I want to get as much finished as possible before the boys arrive) and on preparing for two babies' imminent arrival! And if, perchance, the boys arrive early, I'll probably "disappear" for a while. Don't worry, though, I'll be back!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:30 p.m. , Blogger Bethany said...

Wow, how exciting! Congratulations on your impending arrivals. :)

 
At 3:25 a.m. , Blogger jojoebi-designs said...

congratulations!
And thank you for the Math links, I have just started the bead material with my son.

 
At 12:15 p.m. , Blogger Tess said...

Such super news! So happy for you :)
Is Ella excited?

 
At 11:06 a.m. , Blogger RenĂ©e said...

Wow!! Congratulations!

 
At 2:02 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's February 2009,
definitely safe to assume that the boys have arrived!

Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home